Monday, December 1, 2014

Professional Stories

Everybody likes stories.
Everyone has stories to tell.
It is the matter of how one tells his story and to whom that would make or break an engaged conversation.
I got to tell a story today to an engaged audience.  I met a guy who had come for an interview.  However, he was at the wrong building. I offered to walk him to the right building when I learned that he had a master's degree in mechanical engineering.  He very disappointedly noted that because he couldn't find an engineering job he was teaching math and physics at a high school.
Listening to his story, I immediately offered him a different version of the same story.  I recommended that may be he was meaning to say that he was dedicated to advancement of science and physics in an applied manner and due to his engineering background he decided to teach physics and math to high school kids in a practical manner.  However, for the right engineering job he was willing to pursue his passions as a mechanical engineer.
When I was done narrating his story from a different angle he was looking up at me with widened bright eyes.  He smiled slightly and thanked me so sincerely it made my day.  But then there came the turn down "would you read my resume?"
Thankfully, we were at the building he was supposed to be at by then.  I wished him luck and started walking back to my building feeling blessed with the unexpected opportunity to turn a disappointing story to a positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An emigrant from an ancient civilization to North America, an engineer in marketing and management, a mom of working kind, who thinks when she talks, and who likes to write. I, L.B., own the copyright to the content.