Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Old and The New

Her joyful grin is etched in my memories.  She was standing down the stairs when I looked below in the response to a heavy stare I felt while extending a hand forward in guard for my little m as she was climbing up the stairs.  This was her first full attempt to conquer the stairs.  She was walking tall already exuding triumph in a manner only toddlers do at any first attempt in overcoming the wordly challenges, e.g. the stairs.  There were two sets of railings one exactly at her level and she made sure to hold on to it.  I must say, I was proud to watch her climb independently at only 17 months young. She was trapped inside yesterday and today due to the Univer's blessings of rain and this was her opportunity to move around and I let her.  Still climbing right behind her with one hand extended ready to hold a falling little body if at all.  Then I realized the heaviness of a stare so I turned around and saw her.
She looked older, perhaps in her 70s with a wrinkled face and slightly hunched shoulders. Still she was tall I must say.  There were worries on her look that made me feel uneasy, as if being judged in my motherhood allowing my little 32 inch tall toddler climb the stairs in a public library. Then immediately her mouth opened in a wide grin showing two yellowed rows of teeth.  I immediately smiled back.  Two more steps and I turned around to see her again but she was gone.  I followed her trail and found her at the door walking out in her ankle boots and hunched back.
The old lady stepping out as my little toddler climbed yet another flight of stairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An emigrant from an ancient civilization to North America, an engineer in marketing and management, a mom of working kind, who thinks when she talks, and who likes to write. I, L.B., own the copyright to the content.