Friday, December 12, 2014

Going Back to California

Just met an old colleague as I was boarding the plane and she was taking the same flight back to California.  She looked the same; sounded happier; talked as fast as she always did.  She had gotten a recent promotion she told me, to a Vice President position.  I asked her to describe the three main criteria she thought gave her the position.  She said "same as it would for anybody: hard work and intelligence".  I brushed off the response easily "we both know many hard working intelligent people who not only didn't grow but got nixed".  She then continued in rushed words that it was the VP of HR who recognized her talent, who grew, and grew her with him.
That, my dear reader, is the true reason for growth:  a great person who can identify greatness in people and help them grow.
I am happy for her.  I am going to tell her this, enshala, when we land in San Francisco, enshala.
I am reading a book called Wild by Cheryl Strayed. It's a non fiction, story of the author's 3 month long hike on the Pacific Crest Trail by the Pacific Ocean.  So far it has been engaging.  Simple. Honest. Melancholic.  She claimed that Superior Lake was the largest lake in the world.  I know she is wrong just not sure if she is trying to knowingly exaggerate or unknowingly make a false note.  I must figure this out.  The largest lake in the world is in fact Caspean Sea; has gotten the name "see" to emphasize its largeness.
I'm snacking not too healthily on this trip.


Counting the moments to get home and have a carrot ha ha... Oh I miss my family dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An emigrant from an ancient civilization to North America, an engineer in marketing and management, a mom of working kind, who thinks when she talks, and who likes to write. I, L.B., own the copyright to the content.