Friday, December 18, 2015

A New American Life

Sitting lazily on the sofa with the kids watching the recorded Its A Wonderful Life, the door bell rang around 7PM. Our bell seldom rings. I peaked out through the windows and recognized many people approaching our door still. Carolers I thought. The little angle and I went to open the door and there were a dozen kids in age range of 5-10 singing Rudolf the Red Nose Raindeer. Made me smile with joy. Little m was watching in disbelief. I looked over the tired parents in the back and the excited kids in the front thinking what I should do when it all ended, feeling completely ignorant with this tradition. When it was over I thanked them and wished them a Merry Christmas. Then asked one of the dads who was closest to the door that I had no idea what I should do next. He said nothing and I offered candy but he said the kids had plenty already. We wished each other happy wishes and they left and I came inside completely cheered. Feeling unsettled about what was expected of me though I consulted Google "what should I do when carolers come to the door?"  The answer was 'nothing but smile and happy wishes'. I felt relief in addition to cheered.
Merry Christmas you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An emigrant from an ancient civilization to North America, an engineer in marketing and management, a mom of working kind, who thinks when she talks, and who likes to write. I, L.B., own the copyright to the content.