Saturday, October 7, 2017

The Problem - Part 3

Japan never stopped baffling me. Never a dull moment.
It was a surprise to all when the presidents of the two investing companies and the board of directors chose me as the Vice President of the business in the US when we became incorporated a year and a half down the road, and the co leader of the organization. The less tactful ones opened their hands: was a woman, none Japanese, and not even 40. How could I become elected as VP they exclaimed.
It was a surprise to me when they assigned a 48 year old Japanese software engineer with no background in our business, no management experience, nor any international experience as the president of the corporation; the co leader beside me.
I asked about this. They told me that it was the Japanese style. That always a Japanese will act as a “window man” while a local leader would the regional affair.
The first sentence he told me when he came into the office the first morning was "call everyone to meet me at 9 AM." He then said to all " bring your ideas to me. I will review them and will let you know if any of them were worthy."
I was astoned. I knew it won't work this way. I pointed out to him that everything was working fine already and that my team would continue reporting to me. Thank you very much though! :)
A haze.
Time would tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An emigrant from an ancient civilization to North America, an engineer in marketing and management, a mom of working kind, who thinks when she talks, and who likes to write. I, L.B., own the copyright to the content.